Monk's Cafe (Brouwerij Van Steenberg)

If you did a search through this blog, you'd find many, many references to this Flemish sour. It is my standard for comparison. I dare to say, this is one of my favorite brews. I had the great opportunity to go to Philly, and it just so happened to be craft beer week. I couldn't go to Philly and not visit Monk's Cafe, the spot that this beer is brewed for. They had an amazing tap lineup, but I wasn't going to pass up the chance to have Monk's Cafe IN Monk's Cafe!

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This ruby-colored brew had an off-white bubbly head that stuck around. It smelled...sour. It had a sweetness to the aroma too.

Taste: The malt smooths out the sharp sour flavors. Drinking this next to the Wookey Jack Black IPA really brought out the sweetness of this brew. It's a clean sour flavor. It's a standard.

From the Monk's Cafe site:
That's right, our own private label brewed for us by the family-owned Van Steenberge brewery, just outside Ghent, Belgium. Medium body, red color, somewhat fruity nose, malt flavor with a slight lactic taste. Great Stuff! A real thirst quencher and palate cleanser.


Comments

Popular Posts