Lips of Faith Tasting (New Belgium)

I had been stocking up on New Belgium Lips of Faith series brews. I've had a few before: Sahti, Cocoa Molé, Abbey Grand Cru, Super Cru, and La Folie 2010. I grabbed four of the ones I hadn't tried yet from the booze lair and got ready for a private tasting with Mr. K.


Dunkel Weiss 
"Cat-burglar-smooth and just as fond of the dark, dunkel weiss sneaks together wheat and barley malts with a pinch of black pepper. Nab one before it gives you the slip!" —From the bottle, not on the site anymore.

Look and Smell: This black brew had a thick, tiny-bubbly, off-white head. It smelled wheaty and yeasty. I got a little ripe fruit smell. Like a very ripe banana? It left moderate lacing as I drank it down.

Taste: It was bready. It was a bit acidic, yet smooth. The malt really smoothed it out.

ABV: 9% 

Vrienden

This Allagash and NB "collabeeration" was "Brewed with the slightly fruity hibiscus flower, the aromatic brettanomyces, and the flavor-boosting lactobacillus." —From the bottle, not on the site anymore.

Look and Smell: This amber brew was very effervescent. It lead to a white, bubbly head that doesn't quit. It stayed as a 1/4 inch layer of tiny bubbles. It was very herbal smelling. I didn't really get much of the typical beer aroma (malt, hops, yeast).

Taste: This hibiscus and endive brew was very light. The floral bitterness was the main flavor. I also tasted bitter citrus, lime. A floral sweetness lead to a very dry aftertaste. It hit all over my mouth, roof and tongue. It leaves a dry and fruit aftertaste, like a dry apple cider. Very interesting. Very good summer brew.

ABV: 8.5%

La Folie 2010 & 2011
January of last year, I tried La Folie 2010 for the first time. I wanted to try this sour brown after aging it for over a year and side-by-side with the 2011. 

Look and Smell: They both had a dark ruby tint with a thin ring of tiny bubbles as the head. They smelled like dark cherries. The '10 had a stronger scent. It was more sour and more spiced.

Taste: The '10 had a strong sweetness and was more sour than the '11. It was a nice and even balance. The '11 tasted more like a smoother, sweeter molasses. It was more spiced than the '10. Both left an acidic and wood-dry aftertaste. I could taste the difference in flavor, but didn't really prefer one over the other.

ABV: 6%

Comments

Popular Posts