Loose Cannon (Heavy Seas)

I stayed near Chinatown on my last trip to DC, knowing that Regional Food and Drink (RFD). They have a great selection of brews. I sat at the bar directly in front of their extensive collection of bottles. My favorite spot there for a good new drink or an old standby.

I ordered this Maryland IPA while I browsed through the menu's pages and pages noting the local brews. As I sipped this brew, I looked it up. This brew boasted three or four hop varieties.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This gold brew had a bubbly white head. I smelled piney hops. I couldn't smell much over the bar though.

Taste: I tasted hops and malt at the same time. It was almost too sweet for me. I think the malt muted the hops too much. I never thought that malt could overpower the hops. It tastes like a new/fresh IPA, maybe it needed to age and meld a little better. Maybe they were shooting for sweeter for their target audience. Who knows? I probably wouldn't order it again, but I finished my pint.

From the Heavy Seas site:
Our flagship beer, Loose Cannon wins people over at first smell. The carefully cultivated interplay of Simcoe, Palisade, and Centennial creates a most fragrant IPA—its nose bursts with notes of grapefruit, herbs, and pine. Bitterness is somewhat subdued by the floral quality that pervades the taste. The color is burnished gold, and the mouthfeel is creamy. A strong malt backbone balances out the triple-hopped beer. Its nickname, Hop3, comes from the brewing process: our brewers hop Loose Cannon in the boil, the hopback, and the fermenter. It won a second place CAMRA award at the 2010 Great British Beer Festival.

**The details also note Warrior hops.

Comments

Popular Posts