Festbier (Gordon Biersch)

I had been to a Gordon Biersch four or more years ago when I was in DC. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's one of many chain restaurant breweries (like Rock Bottom or Granite City). I thought the beer was okay, the food was decent, I just never found the urge to go back. I found myself at the Kansas location staring down at the limited selection. All the GB brews on the menu were not my style, a pils, a golden lager, a wheat, a märzen, a schwarzbier, all sweet or too light to enjoy. This Festbier seasonal was on tap. Based on the description, I thought it would be like the märzen, but maybe more spicy...and I was wrong...sadly of all the brews, it was probably the best. I ordered a pint off the guest taps after this gem.

I was there for a very special event. Even with the sub-par beer, the company made it well worth it!

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew was a light amber. It smelled malty, without much else going for it.

Taste: It was sweet. That's all it had going on. Sweet. I was embarrassed to have suggested it as an alternative to the rest of the beer on the menu. I barely finished it. I was using my food to balance out this mug of malt extract. Not a fan.

Comments

Popular Posts