Flat Jack Pumpkin (Flat 12 Bierworks)

With five pumpkin beers, I was done with it. I got the ones for my class (Pumking and some pumpkin cider of sorts that probably only good enough to make Pumking seem ever better).

I was looking for Samuel Smith Cider at my local liquor shop. We were just walking out the door when Mr. K caught a glimpse of a Flat 12 six-pack under the table. Turned out to be pumpkin, but hey, what the heck it's Flat 12. It did not disappoint.

I've been to Flat 12 in Indy twice since they opened. Once when they very first opened, and once a year later. We even got some bullets (Walkabout and Half Cycle), yet I have no notes! In one of those tasting trips, I thought I had a pumpkin porter, but I can't find anything on it.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This gold brew gets a bit cloudy when you mix in all the yeasty goodness at the bottom of the bottle. It had a very frothy white head. It was very effervescent. I could smell the pumpkin pie spices from across the table. As I smelled it, I also got the aroma of fresh pumpkin.

Taste: Homemade pumpkin pie. That's the only way I can describe it. Not too sweet, spiced. Just like pie. If you are going for a pie brew, this is it. Did I mention pie?

From the Flat 12 site:
When Fall rolls around, so does Jack. Provided he stays away from marauding trick-or-treaters, this bright orange gourd-like squash from the genus curcubita (Thanks Wikipedia!) finds his way into the mash of this Flat12 seasonal pale ale. A special blend of Indian(a) spices and pumpkin shine through just enough to complement this slightly sweet and malty tribute to the season of hayrides and bonfires. Flat out fantastic.

Comments

Popular Posts