Ichabod (New Holland)

I bravely bought a six-pack of this brew, because New Holland has never let me down. If their beer isn't great it's always good. If this wasn't drinkable, well then I just don't like pumpkin beer. If it wasn't good, it could always add a little malt to chili or bread!

I tasted it with a delicious, caramel-filled, pumpkin cheesecake. I wrote up my notes on my second taste. I did also make it's way into some cabbage and bison brat stew.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This orange brew had a frothy off-white head. It had the whole trifecta of pumpkin pie spices. It wasn't cinnamon heavy either. It was well-balanced spice. It had a slight sweetness to it.

Taste: The spices tasted natural, no imperial red candies here! It had a rich, yet light, natural pumpkin flavor. I could actually taste the nutmeg and ginger in it. The aftertaste was slightly bitter, reminding me that this was beer. It wasn't too sweet either. This was beer that showcased pumpkins and fall spices.

Too bad the supplier couldn't get this for my class! This is a beer to drink to welcome fall. Would I drink this all day, probably not, but my six-pack is almost gone.

From the New Holland site:
Ichabod combines malted barley and real pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg in a delicious and inviting brew. A rewarding complement to many dishes, Ichabod pairs well with autumnal foods such as poultry and root vegetables. After dinner, try it with your favorite dessert!

Comments

Popular Posts