Oatmeal Stout (Southern Tier)

I saw this on tap a local pub, so I got a pour to start out my scary haunted pub crawl. This Blackwater Series brew got me off to a scary start...

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This black brew had a thick coffee-colored head. It smelled like chocolate.

Taste: This was creamy and had a slight bitter chocolate flavor...then it hit me with pure sugar. The more I drank it the more sugary it tasted. It was too much. I tried to drink it. When Mr. K offered to suffer through it for me in exchange for his not-to-great pale ale, I tried to refuse...but I couldn't. It was like a bad candy not like sweet syrup. It tasted more to me like what I'd expect their crème brûlée one to taste like. I tried to enjoy it as a sweet dessert, I wasn't eating anything with it. I just couldn't get into it. This one was a miss.

From the Southern Tier site:
This beer begins in spring when oat seeds are sown as soon as the soil can be worked. Meanwhile, select types of barley are planted with the hope that Mother Nature will be kind. Our brewers wait patiently until the legumes are mature and ready for the scythe. Upon delivery to the brewery, these ingredients are mixed together in the mash tun where they steep, creating a rich molasses-like liquid. Spicy hops are boiled with the thick brew, giving balance and complexity. Brewers yeast feasts upon the rich sugars, concluding its transformation into oatmeal stout. Pour Oat into a snifter, allow its thick tan head to slowly rise, releasing unbridled aromas. The color of Oat is as dark as a moonless night. The first sip reveals Oat’s thick and nourishing taste. Like a haversack to a horse, a bottle of this stout is a meal in itself.
FOOD PAIRINGS: Particularly tasty as dessert, or try paired with vanilla custard, bananas foster, or over vanilla ice cream.

Comments

Popular Posts