Pumpkin (Lakefront)

After my fun with Shipyard's Pumpkinhead I was a little weary moving forward with my quest for two good pumpkin brews. Yet, I soldiered on with this lager. Not a fan of the pumpkin beer or most lagers, what was I thinking? Yet, this was an almost pleasant surprise. This almost made it into my beer class as a light contrast, but alas, the supplier was out.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This pale, orange-amber brew poured from the bottle with a thin, off-white head. The thin ring hung around. I could smell a sweet pumpkin pie spice blend. I could also smell some ginger candy.

Taste: I could taste that lager. I could taste candy. And surprisingly those flavors went well together. I got a slight pumpkin earthy-sweetness. While the spice smell was clear, the taste wasn't strong at all. I got a slight cinnamon candy taste, an imperial red candy aftertaste. That fake cinnamon makes my taste buds swell up...so I sat and waited for a reaction.

The fake cinnamon bit didn't make me like this beer. It doesn't showcase the pumpkin. However, it is a definite contrast to a rich pumpkin brew though, so it almost made my list.

From the Lakefront site:
In 1989, Lakefront Brewery owner, Russ Klisch was reading dusty brewing tome, tipping one of our fine lagers and came across a beer recipe that Thomas Jefferson had brewed with pumpkin at his home in Monticello.

Pours a light orange with an off-white head. Flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves meld well with a slightly sweet background that actually does taste a bit like pumpkin. Caramel and Munich malts reinforce this beer's mouthfeel and lend to the malty sweetness.

Comments

Popular Posts