Beginning a Quest with Pumpkinhead (Shipyard)

This brew was my first on my quest for two enjoyable pumpkin brews for my Taste of the Cauldron October beer class. I had one prior experience with Shipyard, a delicious IPA. I was also sure that the supplier for the class would be able to get it. And so it begins...

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This pale brew had a thin white head. It smelled like sweet cinnamon. Other spices were light.

Taste: It tasted like (fake) cinnamon-flavored apple juice. It was like a juice box. Seriously? Beer? Not quite. It's kind of harsh, I know, but how does everyone think that throwing pumpkin into something makes it acceptable? The pumpkin was barely detectable. This is not a good representation of pumpkin beer (assuming you want the name in the style to actually be showcased). It may suit a market though. If you like thin ciders, this may be for you.

From the Shipyard site:
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale is a crisp and refreshing wheat ale with delightful aromatics and subtle spiced flavor.

Comments

Popular Posts