Somersault (New Belgium)

I had notes on this refreshing summer ale hiding in my email. I think the warm weather is behind us this year, but that's no reason to push thoughts of summer brews out of my mind.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This was gold with a bubbly and frothy head. It smelled a bit grainy. I didn't really smell much more.

Now that I read the description, I feel like I was missing out on something. Maybe it's because I was out on the patio. Maybe it was the food around me.

Taste: Based on the smell I was not expecting to taste the flavors I tasted. The citrus (lime/grapefruit) flavor was unexpected and delicious.  This brew covers the tongue. I did get this weird metallic taste. Not sure if it was the lines or the actual brew. It had a sharp flavor that left a grainy aftertaste. Interesting brew...wish I got all that ginger flavor noted in the description. I'll have to try it again next year!

From the NB site:
Somersault Ale was designed to be a fun roll around on the tongue while requiring only the minimum of palate gymnastics. In other words, this perfect summer lounge around beer is ridiculously fun and easy to drink. Even though the second Somersault goes down as effortlessly the first, our brewer Grady actually has quite a few remarkable notes at play in the nose, flavor and mouthfeel. There is an opening brace of citrus aroma from Centennial hops, a soft apricot fruitiness tucked into the flavor, a fresh snap from a sliver of ginger root, finished with oats in a long cool mash. Color is blonde with a suggestion of cloudiness. Somersaults all around!

Comments

Popular Posts