Four Witches (New Holland)

I've had this black saison lurking in my cellar for a while. I got it this past summer and really enjoyed it....enjoyed it too quickly to take a picture. This is the last bottle in my stash, saved just for a picture and to celebrate this spooky time of year.

Even though this is a summer saison, it really makes me think more of fall.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It smelt of brown sugar and spicy grain. It was peppery, boozy, and yeasty. It poured nearly jet black with a rich coffee-colored head that stuck.

Taste: It tasted like burnt sugar with a sharp spice. I tasted nutmeg. It was boozy and didn't even try to hide it. This was a good substantial summertime saison that matched my fall tastes as well.

From the New Holland site:
The Four Witches art, illustrated by Kyle Bice, develops on Golden Cap’s theme, with a nod to Wizard of Oz, as L. Frank Baum wrote the book while summering in Holland, MI. White and dark roasted wheat provide deceptively delicious body, and a playful reference to Oz’s contrast between good and wicked witches. Caramel rye and barley continue the story, along with a unique yeast character and mild spicing.

Comments

Popular Posts