Old Viscosity (Port Brewing)

This brew is on my winter warmers list. It's a bit harder to find out here, but was a standard for me when I lived in Missouri.

This San Diego gem goes beyond the Lost Abbey brews. It is heavy, it is rich, it is warming, and of course it is highly viscous. When I found a bottle of this at a local chain liquor store, I kept the bottle and hid it away. When I saw an egg nog recipe made with this dark strong ale, I busted it out and scarified half to the nog experiment. The rest went in my glass.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This black brew had a thin, coffee-colored head that dissipated quickly. It smelled of coffee and bitter chocolate. It coated the glass as I slowly swirled it around to admire it's thickness.

Taste: It was coffee, sharply bitter, and warming. It had hints of licorice and vanilla. It left a thick roasted aftertaste like a black coffee. It was divine. This sip-able winter warmer will always be on my list.

From the Port site:
“Not your Dad’s Wimpy 30 Weight is how our original label used to describe this massive chewy and thick beer.

Code named by our brewers-”The Big Black Nasty,” this is monstrous dark ale is brewed to no particular style. Thick and sludgy like oil from the crankcase of a wheat threshing combine, Old Viscosity blurs the boundaries of Porter, Stout, Old Ale and Barleywines.

A blended beer that mixes old and new brewing traditions into one finished beer, Old Viscosity starts out with 80% of the packaged beer produced from a stainless steel fermentation.

It then joins another 20% Old Viscosity (from a previous batch) that has been aging in bourbon barrels.

The blend of the two beers yields an incredibly rich and luscious ale that reveals chocolate and cocoa notes melded to silky body of burnt wood, vanilla and ash.

Comments

Popular Posts