Spotted Cow (New Glarus)

This farmhouse is a New Glarus standard. I'd venture to say that when people talk about Wisconsin craft brew this is always part of the conversation.

I tried this the first time I ever ventured into the state. I've had it since. I was surprised that I didn't have notes for it. Maybe I don't need them; I know it's good. Or maybe I did...because I remembered it being a brown ale! I found this little memory in the cellar. I got a pair in a New Glarus mix pack my last trip.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This cloudy, pale golden brew had a thick white head. The head dissipated quickly, leaving a thin layer that sticks. It smelled sweet and deliciously hoppy.

Taste: This was light and sweet. A good warm-weather brew, though I'd drink it anytime. It had a slightly earthy aftertaste. I'd say grassy. It made my mouth water. I tasted this little hint of something, that after reading the description, I think was corn. It was a little apple-y. It was complex and refreshing.

From the New Glarus site:
Cask conditioned ale has been the popular choice among brews since long before prohibition. We continue this pioneer spirit with our Wisconsin farmhouse ale. Brewed with flaked barley and the finest Wisconsin malts. We even give a nod to our farmers with a little hint of corn.

Naturally cloudy we allow the yeast to remain in the bottle to enhance fullness of flavors, which cannot be duplicated otherwise. Expect this ale to be fun, fruity and satisfying. You know you're in Wisconsin when you see the Spotted Cow.

Comments

Popular Posts