Snow Day (New Belgium)

This New Belgium brew replaced 2° Below a couple of years ago. I loved that ale, and it's taken me this long to try the new winter seasonal. We bought a case of 2° Below the last year it was released. It kept well and got me through a couple winters. I tried the new winter ale on tap at a local chain restaurant/bar. I was pleased with it. It was different than expected, though I didn't really remember hearing much about it (good or bad). The first time I read the description is when I added it below!


General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This ale was much darker than expected. It had a thick off-white head. This brew left a heavy lacing as a drank it down. I smelled hops...I was expecting heavy malt.

Taste: This brew was surprisingly hoppy! I was thinking it would be more of a traditional winter ale. I guess I should have suspected they'd go for something different than their previous winter ale. Initially the hops were pithy bitter, but as I drank it more it was more floral. It really smoothed out as I drank it. The nutty malt balanced it out. It was roasted to the point of smoky flavor. It was a nice change. It was warming, bitter, rich. It was a good winter brew.

From the NB site:
Pleasantly hoppy, Snow Day carries the subtle chocolate and caramel flavors of a new brewing malt known as Midnight Wheat. The Styrian Golding, Centennial and Cascade hops bring the backbone of hoppy bitterness to complement the roasty undertones. This beer is the deep garnet of a roasted walnut and presents a creamy tan head, floating artfully atop. Snow Day is bold and hoppy, drinkable and strong. It reminds you to enjoy the unexpected.

Comments

Popular Posts