Smitten (Bell's)

I tried a pour of this Golden Rye Ale at a chain restaurant-bar. I hadn't tried this one before. I've had a hit-and-miss relationship with Bell's. Some is out of this world, some is very good, but after that winter ale, I drink Bell's brews cautiously. I think brewing with rye is the new "Imperial", it's the new-old fad. I'll accept it though. I can't pass up a rye. I'm glad that grain bills are being diversified almost as fast as hopping is.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This straw-colored cloudy brew had a frothy white head. It left thick lacing as I drank it down.

Taste: It was served pretty cold, but the flavors really came through as it warmed up. It had a citrus bitterness with a rye spice at the end. It was a refreshing brew.

From the Bell's site:
Drawn from one of our oldest recipes, Smitten Ale began as part of a series of rye beers at our Eccentric Café. The combination of sharp citrus & resinous flavors from the hops with the earthy, rustic overtones of the rye malt contribution yield an interesting take on the American Pale Ale.

Comments

Popular Posts