A Drink for the Road

While waiting in the Munich airport I spotted a Paulener pub area past the security check. Actually, it was the only place past the checkpoint. I wasn't hungry, I just scarfed down some Naturals Paprika chips and had an emergency chocolate mousse-filled Ritter Sport bar in my bag. Not needing any food, I wasn't going to pass up a pint or two of Paulener Hefe-Weissbier Kristallklar. The second pour was even from a fresh keg! The price was right, exactly right, to use up the rest of my euro coins.

Paulener was the first beer I drank that I liked. It was my gateway beer. It opened up a world past the rice/corn stink.

The brew poured at the airport bar was described as a wheat beer, but had none of the cloudiness I know from Paulener hefe-weissbier. I had to look it up to find out that it's a filtered wheat not available in the U.S.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This clear gold brew had a white frothy head. I could smell the grain. The complex sugars left heavy lacing on the plastic cup as I drank it down.

Taste: It was crisp. While being a light beer, it was still a substantial beer. It was served a little warmer than most clear beers, but it was the perfect temperature to bring out the malted wheat flavors. It was delicious. Now that the weather is warming (nearly 90° F today), I crave a pour of this refreshing brew. It would be a nice treat after an afternoon gardening.

From the Paulener Worldwide site:
Compared to pale wheat beer, dark wheat beer has a greater dark malted wheat content, hence its enticing chestnut brown colour. The substantial 12.4 % original gravity gives it its irresistibly pleasant taste, while its fresh, strong aroma reveals a hint of roasted malt.

Comments

Popular Posts