Cooling Down with Fatty Boombalatty (Furthermore Beer)

On a quick weekend trip to Madison to meet up with an old friend we hit up The Old Fashioned hoping for the Wisconsin Bloody Mary that we had for brunch on another trip. I drove to Wisconsin with this in mind, this spicy bloody with a slab of locally-dehydrated beef jerky, a Lakeside spicy pickled egg, cheese curds, and locally-brined pickle. I know Wisconsin is known for all of the wonderful craft brew, but being a little craft brew spoiled, I really wanted this meal in a glass.


We needed to cool down after a walk around the Allen Centennial Garden on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. It was a gorgeous day, but after walking the square at the market and strolling through the 2.5-acre garden I was getting warm. I wasn't quite dressed for the heat and my dark jeans were heating up.

I arrive to The Old Fashioned ready to cool down. With the meal in a glass unavailable, I went for a brew. They happened to have this Belgian Pale on special. I ordered it not even checking my notes to see if I've had it or know anything about the brewery! I did well with this though. It was quite refreshing and complex. It totally did the trick.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew was a cloudy straw color. It had a creamy head made up of small white bubbles. It left heavy lacing on the glass. It smelled fruity.

Taste: I tasted pineapple. It was creamy with a light acid that washed the sweetness away. It was slightly pithy. It might have been the coriander listed in the description. It was a nice combination of flavors. It was hearty, but refreshing. They distribute in Illinois, and I can't wait to try a couple more of their brews.

From the Furthermore site:
The conception and naming of this beer happened in one fell swoop. Unsure whether to offer a light session beer or a fun ball-buster as our warm weather seasonal, we decided on a beer that would be “a big, fatty boombalatty” version of a Belgian white. And away we went, taking a recipe for a white beer and ramping up the grain bill by 50%; we dropped the amount of wheat by 75% to keep the beer rough around the edges. We bucked tradition by steering the bitterness in the direction of a pale ale, and coupling hops with coriander in the fermenter. The resulting beer gives you all the bubblegum goodness of a big Belgian, with enough crispness to cut through the sweet profile, thus making you want to sip it again and again. Dangerous, indeed!

Comments

Popular Posts