Summer Shandy (Leinenkugel's)

I had this brew at my very first Cubs game. Yes, I've lived here for four years. Yes, my dad is a life-long Cubs fan. I've just been busy. I got a deal for a rooftop spot that included decent food and drinks. This Shandy was the only thing on tap worth drinking.

Quick beer 101 for you. A shandy is a beer (generally light lager or wheat beer) mixed with carbonated drink (typically a sparkling lemonade). I've had it mixed with a good ginger beer too. It seems to vary quite a bit, but just think of it as a beer cocktail. Some use equal parts, some use more beer than juice. In many cases, the lemon acid will clean up a less-than-wonderful brew.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This cloudy yellow brew had a thick creamy head from the tap. It smelled lemony.

Taste: This was...a shandy. It was very sweet. It tasted like a lemonhead. It has wide appeal as a summertime brew. It's an adult lemonade. For me, it's a little sugary. For a summer cooler, I like the cleaner, more sour lemon taste. I'd like to mix this with another lager or light ale to cut the sugar.

From the Leine site:
A Shandy is beer brewed with a little something extra. Leinenkugel's® Summer Shandy® is crisp wheat beer brewed with natural lemonade flavor which makes it a perfect summertime refresher for those sun-splashed summer days.

Comments

Popular Posts