He'Brew Funky Jewbelation (Shmaltz Brewing)

Now for a more widely available brew. This American Strong is not just served in some obscure tap room. Shmaltz is truly a bicoastal company. Their ales and lagers are brewed in New York and they have headquarters in both California and New York. That said, this barrel-aged brew is a pretty rare release.

I had it on tap at Maria's Packaged Goods. It was the first time I've been to that community bar, but it's been on my list since I moved to the area. If this spot was closer, I'd be there every day. Their tap is incredibly extensive and their bottle list more so. The bottle selection is available to go at the storefront. The cocktails are unique and well-formulated. On the weekday night I visited, the music was rocking and "Mad Max" was projected on the back wall. I can't wait to go back!

I have a bottle of this brew lurking in my cellar, a gift from a friend. While that's hanging out and aging, I had the urge to try it out.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This dark-brown brew had a tan ring for head. It smelled sour.

Taste: The sourness was balanced by an earthy grain flavor. It was a very heavy brew. The sourness was a red fruit flavor. (Tart cherries?) I picked up on this smokiness or something. Not sure where it was coming from. Maybe it was all in my head. I probably could have tasted this brew for hours. That's the level of complexity going on here. With all of those varied flavors, I was still quite smooth. This is the result of the blend of all the ales and lagers. The different barrels. All the flavors melded together to make a funky beverage I could dig.

Comments

Popular Posts