Gimmicky Beer Hall and Watery Dunkel (Hofbrau)

I've been to Überstein in Chicago and drank my way through Hofbräu brews. They've never really been go-to lagers for me, but I've been known to have one when it's on tap at a fest or other event.

It was a long week for me. I was picking up Mr. K at the airport so we hit the newly-opened Hofbräuhaus Chicago (Rosemont). It was like a beer hall theme park. It was gimmicky. The food was bad. There were televisions everywhere. With no soft surfaces between the posters of Old Bavaria, the television and few people around were a loud echo.

I really wanted a beer though. And this is what I got, the dunkel.


General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brown-amber brew had a white froth for head. It smelled malty sweet and toasted.

Taste: It was sweet with a toasted flavor. It was very watery. It was a watery Märzen (more toast than a deeper dunkel).

From the Hofbräuhaus Chicago site:
Today, Hofbräuhaus Chicago’s Dunkel – the archetypal Bavarian beer – is still as popular as ever. With an alcohol content of around 5.5% by volume and a subtle spicy and rich flavor, this is a refreshing beer that suits all kinds of occasions. A beer in the traditional Munich style!

Comments

Popular Posts