Two Hearted (Bell's)

I figured this 3rd annual IPA Day was a good time to catch up on my notes. With all the beer notes I have to catch up on, this is only one of two straight IPA. I have hopped up Belgians in queue, but no IPA. Quite a departure from my normal drinking habits.

This is a nice, standard IPA. It was the first Bell's brew I ever had, courtesy of a buddy of mine.

I drank it from the bottle at a little coffeehouse meeting up with friends to play board games. So, the notes are terse and light on sight and smell. The picture was a quick one of the bottle. I can post a better one next time.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This gold-ish brew has a white frothy head. While I had it out of the bottle, this wasn't my first time enjoying this IPA.

Taste: The pithy hop acids cut through a slight creaminess. The aftertaste was properly bitter. It's not Imperial, it's a normal, standard hopped brew with a nice malt balance. They don't try to numb your senses with extreme bitterness. This is not a "hop bomb" as it were. It's a good standard to bring to a party.

From the Bell's site:
Bell's Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Comments

Popular Posts