Heavenly Feijoa Tripel (New Belgium-Dieu du Ciel)

Earlier this summer, I dipped into the cellar for a Lips of Faith tasting. I grabbed three bottles of brews I had yet to try. I grabbed three light floral/fruity beers, good for the season.

This hibiscus ale is brewed with feijoa. It is a tropical fruit I had never heard of. I was eager to try it. It's a collaboration with Brasserie Dieu du Ciel (a Canadian brewery with a delicious imperial coffee stout).

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This amber-gold beer had a frothy white head. It smelled musky and tart. Belgian-type sugars came through. It was incredibly clear.

Taste: It tasted like passion fruit. It was slightly musky. It was tart. The effervescence adds body. It's like biting into the pulpy flesh. It was a good, fruity brew. The tartness from the fruit went well with the tart hibiscus flower, adding depth. Great for a hot summer day, with the complexity of flavor I enjoy.

From the bottle:
Oh my God. it's not only a reaction for drinking one of the Dieu du Ciel's beers, but a figurative translation of the Montreal brewery's name. Just ask our brewmaster. He's in heaven when drinking this collaborative tripel, inspired by Dieu du Ciel's love of hibiscus and Belgian's love of the obscure, hence our addition of the tart feijoa fruit. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts