Global Warmer (Sixpoint Craft Ales)

I grabbed a 4-pack of this Sixpoint brew yesterday while stocking up a bit. I'd had lots of the hoppy Sixpoint offerings, and I thought a winter warmer would be a nice change. I got home and noticed the 70 IBU and realized this was not what I thought it would be. Next to a higher than norm IBU, the description provided no information at all. Not sure if they were trying to get poetic or what. I poured the brew and readjusted my expectations.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: As soon as I poured this, I was hit by the bitter-hoppy and woody hop aromatics. There was lots of particulate in the glass, suspended in the brew and settled to the bottom. It was a dark orange with a super frothy off-white head (even when poured gently). It left thick, sticky lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Taste: It had a sugar sweetness, not a round malty smoothness. It was very bitter. The woody taste was more like cedar than pine. As it warmed, it got more astringent. I like a good IPA. I like floral and woody flavors, but this was just a little astringent for my tastes. I'd definitely recommend that people who favor more bitter beer give this Sixpoint offering a try.

From the site/packaging:
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
A Winter Warmer to warm your Globe, or a Global Warmer to warm your Winter? There's no denying the Beer Climate is changing.

If you read the article about the brew on their site they list all of the complexities of the brew. All the nuances that make this beer special. They point out a toasted caramel flavor, herbal qualities, and even dark fruit and chocolate as it warms. My tongue couldn't get past the astringent, drying, bitter to enjoy all of those qualities. I feel like I missed out.

Comments

Popular Posts