HBEXP01: New Hop Frontiers

This Hunter's beer is worth writing about. Hunter's started an experimental series, small batches showcasing new ingredients or styles. This brew really showcased this crazy new hop style. Last year I read a great article about the change in the hop landscape. From the standard pine, floral, spicy, we have various strong citrus, tropical fruity, and chocolate. They even talked about coconut chocolate hops. So when I saw it on Hunter's chalkboard I couldn't resist...not that I can ever resist a new Hunter's brew.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This pale gold brew had a bubbly, creamy, barely off-white head. It left super thick lacing on the glass. It smelled...like chocolate and coconut. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't stop smelling it. It was insane. I'm pretty sure I couldn't stop saying it was crazy.

Taste: It was dry and earthy, but rich and silky. It was like unsweetened coconut flesh and bitter dark chocolate. Chocolate as bittering...but not...it's hops. It was mellow and smooth. I tasted a caramel flavor and I'd normally say it was malt, but I don't know anymore. My world has changed. They did this one right. The pale malt really showcased the hops. Nothing got in the way. Another well-done brew from Hunter's!

Comments

Popular Posts