This is What Democracy Looks Like


I went to the Women's March on Chicago today. The turnout far exceeded estimations. What started as a gathering for 20,000, turned into 50,000, turned into 150,000, turned into who knows how many! The People are serious, and The People want to be heard. It was a great experience, and I'm glad I went against my crowd-avoiding nature to participate. The message was clear and the passion was genuine.

I saw a compassionate and energized crowd. I saw parents discussing the events with their children. Not indoctrinating them, but using critical-thinking skills and rational discussion.

I saw a massive, yet respectful, crowd. I saw people apologizing if they bumped into you and saying "excuse me" if they need to get through. People made way for others. People complimented each other. When a profanity was voiced in a protest song, an older woman apologized to the young men next to her for the foul language as soon as she noticed them there.

People chanted with strong but gentle voices. They weren't protestors, at least not until now. People smiled realizing that there were others out there.

The message was clear. This political situation, lack of compassion, and threat to rational thought and fact-based policy isn't normal or acceptable. We need to support each other.

This rally was a massive group of people trying to be heard and using their voices, signs, and mere presence to convey that they will not stand for an attack against the limited rights we have as women. And while women's rights was the focus, the message didn't end there. We will push forward for equal rights for all. We will no longer be complacent. Our voices will be heard. This is what democracy looks like. Let's not lose this passion.

So what's next? Where do we go from here? I'll let you know when I find out. But I do know one thing, we need to get involved. Elizabeth Warren can't do it all!

Comments

Popular Posts