Sugar Bliss Macarons

Sugar Bliss Patisserie
115 N Wabash Ave. | Chicago, IL 60602


It's no secret that I like macarons. Colorful and delicate. Crisp with a little chew. Filled with jam, marzipan, or buttercream.

They are difficult to make, but wherever I go I seem to find someone who has mastered the art. I've had macarons on the Côte d'Azur. I've had macarons from Miami to Pasadena.

I was taking a walking break from work, and I passed Sugar Bliss Patisserie. I'd seen it before. The clean white storefront. The brightly colored macarons and carefully frosted cupcakes showcased.

On this walk I pointed it out to my companion. She paused. That's all I needed to get me through the door. The friendly saleswoman packed my Earl Grey, lavender chocolate, lemon, raspberry, key lime, and cappuccino cookies with care. Although they had many different flavors, I didn't agonize over my decision. I knew any that I picked would sate my appetite.

But the true test came when I brought them home to Mr. K. The first bite had a bit of crumble as he broke through the delicate crisp layer into the center and the raspberry filling. The texture was right. It was fresh. It was so buttery and delicious. We worked through the lavender too. The rest of these decadent macarons will wait for another day...or minute!

The six-macaron box is about $16 with tax. The owner has an interesting backstory with a career change, a trip to Paris (and patisserie program), and the opening of the first shop (Sugar Bliss Cake Boutique at 115 N Wabash). The first shop is focused on cakes. This is the second shop. If the rest of the sweets are as good as these macarons, more stores might be on the horizon.

Comments

Popular Posts