Rye Knot (Figure 8)

This Baltic Porter-type beer was one of Figure 8's most complex brews. It was nice to look at and had a great smell to it.
From a Second Try (9/24/11)

From the Figure 8 site:
"A complex rye based brew somewhere between a baltic porter and a stout with a rich black head, hints of licorice, oak, cognac, and a light woodsy bitter finish."

General Thoughts: This was a dark beauty with beautiful head. The head disappeared fairly quickly. I'm not sure I buy the complexity they were trying to sell in their description, but it was fairly complex in comparison to their other beers. My vote for this type of beer would be a Three Floyds' Topless Wytch (Baltic Porter).

Update: I shared another snifter of this during a taproom visit 9/24/11. I think the complexity is there now. I'm not sure if the recipe or process has improved, but this was a very good brew. I would go out of my way for this rich beer.

Comments

Popular Posts