Goulden Carolus Noel (Brouwerij Het Anker)

This continues my string of holiday beer tasting. I was able to get this on tap at Three Floyds.

From the Het Anker site:
"Thirty-eight years we had to miss the Christmas beer but in 2002 the tradition was restored with Golden Carolus Christmas.  It’s a strong, dark ruby red beer with character and contains an alcohol percentage of 10.5 % VOL. Brewed in August, the beer rests a few months to reach an optimal balance. Three kinds of hops and six different kinds of herbs and spices define the rich taste of this Christmas beer. Top-class!

Type of beer: Dark special beer
Colour: Dark ruby red
Alcohol: 10,5 % VOL
Hops: Exclusively Belgian hops
Wort extract: 22° Plato
Fermentation: High fermentation
Lagering: 2 weeks
Packaging: Bottle: 33 cl, 75 cl and 1,5 l
Tenability: At least 3 years"

General Thoughts: Foamy and white creamy head. Smelled and tasted super spiced. This can compete with N'ice Chouffe for me. Not going into all of the details and trying to pick out each and every spice, I get nutmeg and complementary spices. I don't taste the strong dried fruit that you usually get with these types of beers. I'm sure if I picked it apart enough, I might. This is a nice thick holiday brew, but not as thick as N'ice. It's tart and bitter at the same time. But the taste leaves your mouth quickly. I really like this one. This has definitely made my holiday beer list for next year.

Comments

Popular Posts