McCaffery's Irish Cream (Argus)

I had to try this one at Ballydoyle's in Downer's Grove, IL. It promised to be Wexford-ish, and I was at an "Irish Pub". It's only available in this pub.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: Looks a bit Wexford-ish. Great color, copper. A really nice creamy head. I didn't smell much, but didn't try to hard. It settled quick (think crazy Guinness/Boddington's settling). The head stayed forever. It hung on until my last sip.

Taste: It had a sweet turn to it. You get a malty taste with a turn. I had somewhat of a watery aftertaste. Sweet. Not a huge fan. Wasn't as creamy as I'd like. I'll take a Wexford any time. Nice try Chicago brewery. It was great for this restaurant though. Went good with my corned beef appetizer and my steak boxty. I liked it, but prefer others. If I was at this pub again, I'd probably go for a Guinness though. 

From the Argus site
Aroma:
Subtle malt aromas of caramel & nuts followed by a mild but refined hop nose using imported hops.
Appearance:
Middle copper color with a dense, creamy, long lasting head. 
Flavor:
Moderately full malt flavors followed a mild hop bitterness.
Overall Impression:
A smooth, light bodied and subtle malty ale.

Comments

Popular Posts