Behemoth (Three Floyds)

This seasonal barleywine is a great brew for cold weather. Barleywines are always hit or miss for me. There are few that I would go out of my way for. This was not the best barleywine I've had (Anchor's Old Foghorn is), but it's definitely grown on me the past three seasons. I had this after the Barrel Aged Cherry to compare.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was a very dark amber color. You could smell the barley maltiness of it. I know that barleywines are barleywines not because of the barley, but because of the alcohol content...but this was very barley to me. It had light lacing. 

Taste: It was very smooth for a barleywine. The bitter lingers. You can taste all of the floral hops. The alcohol taste was heavy with a very earthy malt. The aftertaste was surprisingly not malty, it was more hoppy to me.

From the menu:
"An intense ale, brewed to wine strength. Floral and citrus notes blend with robust maltiness producing a complex & warming beer."

Comments

Popular Posts