Big Red IPA (Big Horn)

I got a pint of this IPA on tap at a RAM restaurant. Their beer didn't stun me at the Indiana Beer Fest, but I gave them another chance at their spot.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew was red (lived up to its name). It had a nice white head and left a bit of lacing. I could smell the hops. **The picture isn't great. For some reason I couldn't get a good shot of it.**

Taste: It tasted almost floral with hops, not as bitter as I hoped. I could taste the malt, but it's very light. The aftertaste is dry, and that floral sweetness stays with you a bit. I would favor their porter over this one, just because this doesn't meet my expectations for an IPA. This wasn't even as hoppy as a standard pale ale. I disagree with their description. A person I was with who enjoys fruit beers really enjoyed this brew.

From the RAM site:
An American style IPA, our Big Red combines the distinctive and assertive citrus flavor and aroma of Amarillo hops with a crisp, pleasantly bitter finish.

Comments

Popular Posts