Brian Boru (Three Floyds)

I wasn't a huge fan of this red ale last year. Now I have the blog, so I can post what I liked/didn't like about it for my reference. I like reds, but this just wasn't anything special to me. Drinkable yes, but go out of my way for it, not so much.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: I could smell the malt, but the hops were stronger. It was red with a white, frothy head that took a bit to settle.

Taste: Caramel was my first taste, and it was very sweet. It was hard to take after a Topless Wytch. The aftertaste was all malt to me.

I'd have to try it again to really dig into the flavors, but for the purposes of this post it was drinkable. I'd drink it again, but I won't die when they are tapped out of this brew.

From the Three Floyds site and menu
Ireland’s first and last Ard Ri (high king) of the whole Gaelic race, Brian Boru was born in Munster, Ireland around 940. Brian Boru’s mother was killed by Vikings when he was a child. He spent his life uniting the Irish tribes to become the first king of Ireland only to be killed at Clontarf on Good Friday 1014 putting down a rebellion by the king of the province of Leinster. Brian Boru Irish Brand Red Ale is a very rich ale with toffee, caramel, citrus and pineapple notes. Brian Boru is brewed with several malts and Amarillo hops. February release.

Comments

Popular Posts