XS Russian Imperial Stout (Rogue)

This Russian Imperial Stout was purchased in a 7 oz bottle. It was really all you needed for a single serving of this dark stout. It had written on the bottle that it was bottled in 2009 and best after aging one year, and I was just over that.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It took a vigorous pour to get a thin coffee-colored head on this stout. Little bubbles from light carbonation coated the glass. I could smell the roast right on. The smell of the wort I was boiling messed with the smell on this. Even backed into a corner with my face in the glass, that's all I could separate.

Taste: The heavy roast was what I tasted first. It was a thick beer, but not sickeningly thick. It was really boozy too. The aftertaste was bitter from the roast, but it had caramel. It made my mouth water. Overall, not an overly complex brew. I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

The character was different, but I felt it was lacking. I usually find a coffee, chocolate, or oak flavor to complement the roast. This was basic and good. For an IS I go for a little more complexity, like Wake Up Dead.

From the Rogue site:
Tasting Notes:
The Emperor of Stouts. Rich in texture, broad, soft and creamy. The most robust and fullest of all stouts.

12 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western, Harrington & Klages, Hugh Baird XLT-80, Black, Munich, Chocolate and rolled oats.
Hops: Willamette, Cascade and Chinook.Specialty: Two Secret ingredients.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs:
26º PLATO
88 IBU
73 AA
256º Lovibond



Comments

Popular Posts