Black (Brugge)

This is a much talked about Brugge brew. I had already had an El Rojado Imperiale. That evening and figured this would be a good second. Good thing about the Belgian-style pub is that you can drink their brews together with no issue. I will say that all I tasted from them had unique flavors, but all were very Belgian.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew was just as named....black. It had a thick, white-tan head that took a while to settle. When it slowly dissipated it left no lacing. At this point the bar was packed, food was everywhere, and my smell was just about gone. I smelled some roast and malt, but I could have been mistaken.

Taste: It wasn't sweet. I could taste an earthy malt and roasted malt. It was very smooth. As it warmed I got more of the coffee and caramel taste. Very good. Pretty thick. Aftertaste was roasted.

From the menu:
Belgian black ale reminds the drinker of the chocolate side of dark malts, leaving behind bitter astringency.

Comments

Popular Posts