Heavenly Hefeweizen (Half Moon)

I had a pint of this seasonal brew on tap at Half Moon in Kokomo. I don't know if it's a new fad or an Indiana thing, but I'm increasingly seeing the Weihenstephan Weizen-type yeast used to get the banana esters and clove phenolics, but none of them seem well balanced. Most of them have too much banana for my liking. That said....it was spring, and I figured the hefeweizen they were pushing might be good.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It had little head and was very yellow. It was cloudy and smelled of banana and wheat.

Taste: BANANA. I can only blame myself for having to sit through a full pint of this. I had the taster, and for some reason ordered a pint. I could taste the wheat. It was nice and thick. That banana was just too much for me though. I could see how some people might like this, and I'm not closed to that. Well done, but I just don't think that this could ever be something that I'd be in the mood for.

From the Half Moon site:
A south German style of wheat beer (weissbier) made with yeast that produces unique phenolic flavors of banana and cloves and even a little bit of bubblegum. It has little hop bitterness, and a moderate level of alcohol. This beer is scrumptiously smooth and refreshing.  Spring is here and brings us sunshine and our brewer brings us a most Heavenly Hefewiezen to sip and savor.

Comments

Popular Posts