Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord 2010 (Three Floyds)

The day after Dark Lord Day, I hit up the pub for some food and to see if they had any goodness left on tap (as they do sometimes after a party). The bad news for me was that just an hour before opening, Three Floyds tweeted that they had some DL on tap and needed help finishing it off. *sigh* So I got in my car and headed out there. By the time I got there, people were hanging around outside. A couple pulled up and started a line. A group was ahead of us. I didn't think much of it until this group of 8 all went in and sat at the tiny bar. What does that mean for me? No bar seat to chat with my favorite bar tenders...and no DL 2011 for me. Since the line was a 2hr wait at DLD, and the kids at the bar ordered two each of the DL and tapped them out, that meant none for me on tap this year. No worries, just annoyed. Especially annoyed when one of the gang said, "I want to taste it so I can sell my bottles." Punk...Anywho, I got some DL 2010 aged in bourbon barrels, and it was heavenly.

General Thoughts
Having already written about DL 2010, I'll just say that it was even more mellow than the bottle I had aging in my basement. I think the barrel took out even more of the little sharpness it had left. The bourbon really, really came through (smell and taste). I really like good bourbon, so it was quite the treat for me. I tasted more of the chocolate than the dark fruit. The dark fruit came out pretty heavy in the bottle I had a month and a half before. It was nice and thick and warming. I savored this. My partner in crime savored two after not getting his DL2011.

From the menu:
'10 Dark Lord aged for a year in a Heaven Hill bourbon barrel.

Comments

Popular Posts