Widdershins 2009 (Left Hand Brewing Company)

I snagged a bomber of this barleywine-style ale when I was collecting my barleywines for tasting. After Wake Up Dead, Left Hand can do no wrong on these aged brews. 25% of this mix was aged in oak brandy casks.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This beautiful orange-hued brew had a light bubbly head. Tiny bubbles. It smelled like grain and floral hops. I could get the malt too.

Taste: It was bitter and grainy. That sort of mouthwatering grain. I got a bit of sap and wood. The oak aging brought out the sappy-earthiness of the hops. It got a bit fruity as it warmed. It wasn't very thick. The aftertaste was somewhat sweet. I'd rate this among my favorite barleywines.


From the bottle:
Thanks for purchasing another offering in our Big Mo' series. Widdershins, our counter-clockwise biennial barleywine-style aged in brandy casks reveals floral and fruity notes of orange and apricot upon a foundation of oak., garlanded with earthy hoppiness. Our answer to waning daylight and frigid temperatures can be enjoyed immediately or saved in your cellar for a snowy day. Cheers!

2013 Release (3/31/14): I opened this as a farewell to an incredibly rough winter. Though this week is still full of lows in the 30s and highs in the 40s, I'm welcoming spring! This release doesn't mention any special barrels used or blending. It's just oak-aged. I poured one glass a little cloudier than the other. The yeasty bits and sediment gave it that definite apricot aroma and dried fruit flavors. Aftertaste was sweet and woody. Wish I aged it a bit. I had forgotten how good this was! Still delicious, still worth savoring. 

Comments

Popular Posts