Expedition (Bell's)

This stout was on tap at Three Floyds a few weeks ago. Yes I know, it's a little warm for such a Russian Imperial Stout, but I really like stouts.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was black with a coffee-colored, frothy head that stuck for a while. I could smell the light roast.

Taste: This was SUPER roasted with a bitter bakers chocolate taste. It turned more roasted-chocolaty as it warmed. It was creamy, and the creaminess didn't fade in the least. I tasted some booziness; it didn't hide the ABV very well. This was quite tasty and rich. I'm not sure how long this keg was aged (maybe it was from last winter), but I'd like to get a few bottles to age for long a while.

From the Bell's site:
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Bell's Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.

Comments

Popular Posts