Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti (Great Divide)

I cracked open a bottle of this imperial stout to start off my long weekend (after the el Mole Ocho). I'm a fan of the Yeti (and variations), so getting this one was a no-brainer.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: I could smell the chocolate from where I was sitting. It was black. This stout had a rich, chocolate-colored, reverse head that stuck around for a bit. It left heavy lacing as it settled, that followed it at an inch from the top as I drank it down.

Taste: It was thick and oaky. It was a bitter chocolate taste mixed with that woody oak. That cuts through the creaminess of it. It is a little boozy, and that increases as it warms. Still very drinkable, at any temperature.

From the Great Divide site:
Welcome to the newest incarnation of our revered imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. A Yeti for summer?

Comments

Popular Posts