el Mole Ocho (New Holland)

I normally don't write the post for beer notes while I'm drinking it, but this one is so good it can't wait. Good enough to interrupt my normal relaxation. I honestly didn't know what to expect with this one. New Holland makes the phenomenal Dragon's Milk, but Pilgrim's Dole was an utter disappointment.


General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It is a dark brown, but not as dark as I thought it would be. It has a little off-white head. A little ring of bubbles lingers. The smell...is where it started getting me. Sweet and spicy chocolate. Like a 75% rich cacao. You can smell the pepper too. Chilies or Cayenne.

Taste: It's so creamy! It has a lingering spice that is remarkable. It's like those great spiced chocolates (not the wanna be mass produced crap). It's malty though and still tastes like beer! This is some sort of drink of the gods. It's so savory and good I can only think of pairing it with a good scotch or brandy!

From the New Holland site:
Our exploration into the flavors of mole, the legendary sauce of central Mexico. Malty aroma and rich, cocoa-laden body laced with an invigorating tinge of dried chilies and coffee.
Pairings: poultry, red meat, dark chocolate.

Comments

Popular Posts