Alpha Klaus (Three Floyds)

I'm not sure if it's still possible to be wiped from the holidays, but I'll use that as my excuse. No time for full posts, but I'll leave you to enjoy my piles of beer notes.

I bought a couple of bombers of this Christmas Porter during the FFF anniversary party. My visits to the pub are almost non-existent at this point, so I'm grabbing bombers when I can. In the past I'd get the barrel-aged goodness from the tap at the pub.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This had a huge, frothy, dark coffee, head. It just didn't quit. It took forever to settle, and it left thick and heavy lacing behind. The bubbles on the lacing were iridescent like snow flakes. It wasn't just the pour that frothed it up.

The beer itself was black. I could smell the roasted-ness and hops. I got a slight sweetness too.

Taste: It was a creamy porter. Bitter chocolate was a main flavor to go with the roast. It was so creamy I had to break out some dark-chocolate brownies to eat with the bitter chocolate-ness. The aftertaste was all chocolate. It was like mocha chocolate milk.

From the FFF site:
Alpha Klaus is Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers! November release.

Comments

Popular Posts