Big Sound (Cigar City)

This post might get me in trouble. I was down in FL and was chasing around some Cigar City to see what all of the hoopla was about. I mean, what good could come out of Tampa, right?

I met some friends in a new-to-me pub on the corner of Babcock and Palm Bay Road (The Broken Barrel Tavern). It was definitely the coolest pub in PB. They told me there was Cigar City to be had. And...there was. After a couple of out-of-stock choices, I went for this Scotch Ale because I will not pass a new one up. I'm on this quest for a McEwan's replacement. So I ordered my $16 (+tax and tip) bomber.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It had a super nice, creamy, off-white head. It was a dark brown with just a hint of a reddish tint. I could smell the grain as I poured.

Taste: It was grainy, it was malty, it was balanced...and that was it. It was a good beer, don't get me wrong. If it was at a bar, I'd get it. BUT, I would not go out of my way for this beer. I would not pay extra to have it shipped to me or trade with a stranger to get it. It was a Scotch Ale. Go get a Kilt Lifter for $3/bomber. And this is coming from someone who has stood in line in cold and sun to buy beer for two DLD and did the same for $30 bottles of the Baller Stout. I chased Five all over Minneapolis. I'm not saying my obsessions are healthy, just putting it into context. Not whining about spending money, just what it's on.

I sipped the IPA just to check it out. Same feeling. A good IPA, but not out of this world. I know that I'm just spoiled with a saturated market.

From the Cigar City site:
Big Sound Scotch Ale is dedicated to our good buddy Gino, the most Punk Rock Bagpiper you will ever meet, and the rest of the men and women of the Tampa Bay Pipes and Drums. Brown in color, Big Sound has huge notes of dark sweet toffee with underlying mild notes of coffee in the aroma. The flavor starts with a slight note of cherry and then opens into a goliath of malt character with notes of dark sweet toffee, coffee and mild notes of toasted bread in the finish. Big Sound Scotch Ale pairs well with Haggis, Highland Games, Huge Heads, Enormous pillows and of course Bagpipe Music.

** See and even this description...I'm not looking for coffee and cherry in my Scotch Ale.

Comments

Popular Posts