Cocoa Molé (New Belgium)

I've been slacking a bit on my Lips of Faith collection. I don't think NB has ever put out something that I don't like, but this was really where it was at. My cohort in crime had a glass of the new Boulevard Smokestack Chocolate Ale which was richly chocolate....but I really liked what I had in my hand. I like my chocolate beer like I like my chocolate bars, dark with a little kick.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This ale was black with a thin, white, layer of tiny bubbles for a head. I could smell the light spice and bitter chocolate.

Taste: The intensity of flavor surpassed the smell. The spice isn't hidden. It's the slight burn from peppers and the kick from hot cinnamon. This is right up there with el Mole Ocho. It's definitely less rich and creamy. I highly recommend this one if you like the spicy pepper tastes and bitter chocolate.

From the NB site:
Say Hola to a spiced up ale full of cocoa and ancho, guajillo, chipotle peppers. But don’t fear the heat, because plenty of caramel and chocolate malts bring a smooth, complex flavor to our Cocoa Molé. Scents of cinnamon when poured will have you saying, “¡Olé for molé!”

Comments

Popular Posts