Dark Lord 2011 (Three Floyds)

I finally cracked open the bottle of DL. After not being able to get my taste at DLD, or on the following day at the pub, I waited for this to mellow a bit before I opened it. Based on the 2010, that was a good move. I waited for a nice and snowy winter day to try it...which was quite a trick this mild season.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was black with a thin coffee-colored head. It smelled of dark fruit and booze. It had some little floaters in it.

Taste: This is a very complex brew. It was oily and smooth. I tasted cherry and tobacco. I got a thick chocolate, and that acid cut that oily consistency. With that flavor, and the ripened fruit, tt was like a heavy, chocolate, port. It left a stickiness. It had a roasted coffee after taste. After looking at my DL2010 notes, it's not that far off from last year's batch. A nice, thick, boozy, chocolaty yet fruit-ish brew.

With my feelings about FFF lately, this might be my last year of Dark Lord to taste. It's a very special brew. More for the die-hard fans I guess!

From bottle (same as last year):
Dark Lord is a gargantuan Russian Style Imperial Stout, with a reverse cascading head that starts out billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings. Its Resonant vinous aroma has been described as cherries, sweet malt, molasses, burnt currants, plums with a port wine alcohol undertow. Mochachino notes buried within. Motor oil consistency, hellishly smooth yet divinely burnt and vinous. The first sip coats your palate with a palatial charred fruit and chocolate blanket. Alcohol burn wiggles its way down your throat with a thick body. Enjoy and thanks for your continuing support.

Comments

Popular Posts