Juliet (Goose Island)

Why do I keep torturing myself trying GI beers when I know I don't love any of them? Is it because they are awful enough to avoid entirely? Is it because I like the pubs so much? I don't know, but in this case (out of many) I finally had a really good one!

I saw this Belgian Sour on the menu with a $25 price tag. I paused, but, why not? Well, I don't like most of their Belgian collection. Matilda and Lolita left something to be desired. I blame it on the moment. But it worked out.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew was the color of a rosé. The head was a thin ring of tiny lingering bubbles. It smelled sweet and sour. Belgian sugars and Belgian yeast.

Taste: It was like a Monk's Café...which is a very high compliment coming from me. That is the sour that I measure all sours against. It was sweeter than that Flemish sour. It was a fruity sweetness. I was torn between drinking the bomber by myself and using that extra glass I asked for to share with Mr. K. I shared. It should be shared. It is a beer that people with many different tastes would enjoy.

From the GI site:
Fermented with wild yeasts and aged in cabernet barrels with blackberries, Juliet is a tart, fruity, complex ale. Notes of wood, tannin, dark fruit and spice make Juliet an ideal beer to suggest to Pinot Noir enthusiasts and beer drinkers who are fond of Belgian sour ales.

Comments

Popular Posts