Skip to main content

Waxing Poetic for Red Hoptober (New Belgium)

I'm embracing fall again after a week of frigid temperatures. It is 66°, the windows are open, my smoked rye is bubbling in the carboy, and all is right with my slice of the world. I almost didn't see this harvest ale on my hunt for autumn brews. I was constructing a mix pack to try out some new ones, and the keen eyes of Mr. K spotted this new brew.

After trying it, I'd go as far as saying this is my fall brew. This is what Gnomegang was to my springtime. My tastes far exceeded NB's description. It was one of the few times that I read the label while I was drinking it. The flavors were so all over the place that I needed a sanity check...and I didn't get one! Read this with caution, dear readers, because what you get may not be what the experts describe.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This amber brew had a white frothy head. I smelled bitter smoke. Like smoked hops? It was not normal in any way. The smell alone marked it as the bonfire brew of 2012.

Taste: It tasted smoked. It had a sweetness. It was bitter. It was dry. It was all over the place, yet not overwhelming. All of these seemingly disparate flavors culminated into a sensory experience that can only be described as tasting fall. Yes friends, I tasted fall that autumn night. A bit dramatic, and despite all that hype, I hope you try it (preferably by a bonfire) and like it!

My hopes were actually not too high for this brew, and the picture reflects that. Once I started smelling it, there was no putting it down for another shot! Maybe, I'll pause for a better shot next time!

This brew did make it into my fall beer class tasting line up.

From the NB site:
Fall is here and with it our seasonal ale, Red Hoptober. Shining like autumn leaves in a globe glass this beer pours a dark and lovely garnet as it builds a bright, inviting head. The Eldorado hops are bold and present with a distinct, piney flavor while the caramel malt and roasted barley provide a backbone to stand Red Hoptober upright. Centennial and Cascade hops offer hints of citrus, tickling the nose, while the tongue carries a subtle, roasty tone that pairs pleasantly with the warming bite of bitter. Red Hoptober is perfect for shortening days and campfire nights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Marched, What's Next?

What can we do? There has to be more than writing letters and posting on social media. This is a work in progress, but these are my thoughts...
Stay educated. If you think the media is misleading you, take charge. Know your sources. Do your research. You don't have to consume the 24-hour repetitive cycle of media. You can focus and keep it to the point. I like NPR, Popular Science, and the technical sources (department sites). If you're curious about education, go to the Dept of Education site! You want to know about the job rates? Go to the Department of Labor reports.

Educate each other. We are failing in this. We need to talk about the issues. Not just reposting articles, but face-to-face or virtually with a personal spin and follow up. We need to have meaningful discussions about the current state of affairs and what is happening. We can only act together if we work together. But serious discussion, not Facebook posts!

A Right Regal Bonsoir (or Imperial Bedroom Revisited)

Elvis Costello doesn't mess around. Last night, at The Chicago Theater, I witnessed a true delight of the senses. Out of respect for the artist's wishes, as requested, I didn't take any pictures or video of the performance. You'll have to live through my description and a grainy, preshow snap.

Wild Horticulture (Little Shop of Horrors)

Last night, I saw Little Shop of Horrors (Crown Point Community Theater edition). This fan-favorite has stood the test of time. People still pack in to see this 80s musical based on a 60s movie. Big production or small, the catchy tunes and dark yet quirky storyline keep people humming and laughing.

CPCT has a great range of shows. From Sartre's thought-provoking No Exit to the whimsical, yet mature, Happily Ever Once Upon they bring entertainment to the community. CPCT brings in plays that are far from mainstream. Evenso, it was a delight to see this classic musical.