On Using Goose Eggs

I had the rare opportunity to bake with goose eggs today. I had gotten three beautiful goose eggs as a nice reward for sharing some of my delicious winter nog. I was told that goose eggs are the highest order of eggs. While I don't have experience with duck eggs yet, I agree that the order of decadence when it comes to eggs seems to be the following:
  1. Goose
  2. Turkey
  3. Duck
  4. Chicken

Goose egg yolks are much bigger than chicken eggs, as you can probably guess from the size of the eggs. The yolks cream nicely. I'd like to try them in a custard. In the picture above, the small and more yellow yolk is from a turkey egg. The goose egg yolks were darker and about twice the size. 

The goose eggs have an even thicker white than turkey eggs. When you are done cracking them, scrape the inside of the shell with a butter knife, it really sticks to the membrane. They are a cloudy white. It makes for such a thick and glossy meringue. I couldn't resist dipping my finger in for a taste. It melted in my mouth. A very delicate, yet rich meringue. Turkey egg whites also make for a glossy thick meringue. Both seem to take a little longer to whip up, but are worth the extra work! 

The shells are even thicker than turkey eggs and much thicker than chicken eggs. When cracking the shell, tap it with the flat end of a butter knife. The thick shell and membrane prevent it from shattering into your bowl. Like any other eggs, when separating the yolk from white it is good technique to separate the whites one at a time in a small bowl, adding it one at a time to your main bowls as you go along. That way if you get some shell or yolk in the little bowl it doesn't contaminate all of your whites. (Thanks America's Test Kitchen!)

When cooking with goose eggs, make sure you adjust your recipe for the larger eggs. You may also need to adjust the oil/fat content because of the richness of the yolk. The richer white seems to make cakes stand up higher. 

This is the first time in my life that goose eggs have been on the menu. If you have access to a local farm, you may want to see if you can get your hands on a few. I would not recommend trying to harvest them yourself!


Comments

Popular Posts