Winter's Ice Cream: Turkey Eggnog with Dark Ale

I just recently started getting into eggnog. In Kansas City, Shatto Milk Company made an outstanding nog. They even had some seasonal pumpkin spice milks. Around Indiana, Traders Point Creamery is the go-to nog with Oberweis being a close regional second. For me it's just a one-time indulgence. Splash a little bourbon in there and enjoy the treat.

This year, Mr. K forwarded me a couple of articles about aging eggnog and eggnog made with beer. When I saw that the "beer nog" was made with Old Viscosity, I was sold. It helped that I had an amazing local egg source too. 

I made the recipe. It was spectacular. I added in a little bourbon to help it taste a bit more aged. It was a little thinner than most eggnogs, but outstanding. It was very drinkable without the thick fattiness you get from some whole milks. It was less sweet than store-bought nog and much less eggy than some bad home-nog attempts I've been witness to. I shared it with non-noggers and nog-drinkers and both sides approved. This was a nog to be loved.  I'm 100% certain that it had all to do with the quality of egg and milk. So never skimp on the ingredients. Pay extra and you'll be in for a treat. 



While visiting my local egg source, she shared turkey eggs with me for experimentation. Turkey eggs are known to be good eggs for baking. The richness and larger yolk make them good binders. That said, I couldn't resist the urge to nog it up with these special eggs. As I cracked open the thick and hard shell, I was surprised. I was expecting the nice rich yolk, but I didn't anticipate how wonderfully rich the egg white would be! It made for the perfect meringue, super glossy and thick. 

This not is not just for Christmastime. As ice cream in the summertime, this is rich and delicious for an indulgent winter treat. 


Randy Clemen's recipe inspired me. This is my take (with notes depending on resources).

Ingredients
  • 3 turkey eggs & 2 chicken eggs (5 turkey eggs if you have them or 6 chicken eggs the general note is that turkey eggs are larger, so adjust accordingly)
  • 1/2 c plus 2 tbsp white sugar
  • 2 1/2 c good whole milk 
  • 1 1/2 c heavy cream* 
  • 2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp walnut liqueur (optional)
  • 3 (or so) oz bourbon (I used Maker's Mark.)
  • 10 fl oz very thick dark ale - Stout or Porter - (The recipe uses Port Brewing Old Viscosity, which I used the first time. I used my Witch's Brew super thick stout with the turkey eggs. It gave it a bit of chocolate flavor.)
*Note I've just used 4c raw milk instead of the milk/cream mixture because it was rich enough.

    1. Separate the egg whites from yolks. I put the whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a stand mixer (or another large bowl). This is done as they are separated in case there is an accident (yolk break, shell shatter, etc.). 
    2. Cream the egg yolks with the 1/2c of sugar until it's a pale yellow and creamy. 
    3. Slowly mix in milk, nutmeg, bourbon, ale, and walnut liqueur (if using).
    4. Scrape down your stand mixer to make sure it's properly incorporated.
    5. Whip up the egg whites with 2 tbsp of sugar until they are a full meringue (stiff white peaks, glossy, and opaque). As noted in Randy Clement's recipe, if you use the same mixer, make sure it's fully clean.
    6. Fold the whipped whites into the other mixture one spatula-ful at a time until fully incorporated. 
    7. Chill overnight. Note: It separates a bit so give it a gentle shake before serving.

    Comments

    Popular Posts