2012 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Knot (Figure 8)

In 2010, I tried this Baltic-style rye ale for the first time (notes). It was tasty, but not as complex as I was expecting. Every year since then I've gotten it and enjoyed it thoroughly. Every time I try it I love it more. So last winter when I got the chance to try the whiskey barrel-aged brew, I jumped at the chance.

I saved the bottle and broke it out when my good friend was in town. Board games, a deliciously complex aged ale, and time with a good friend made for a great evening. I was not disappointed.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It poured black with a thin tan head. The bourbon smell with all of the caramel and vanilla really came through. I also smelled a sweet malty mapleness.

Taste: It was earthy, it was thick, it was spicy from the rye. There was a smooth sweetness. It was even better as it warmed. It was everything I wanted, and not just because it was a special release.

Comments

Popular Posts