2012 Bourbon Barrel Aged Date Night (Figure 8)

The first year I was aware of it, I missed Date Night by a couple of days. The idea of a date barleywine stayed with me for a year. When the time came around for the annual release, I asked for it. It was in the works. I asked for it again. It was in the queue, but needed a free tap. Then, finally, it was there, and it was glorious. Some brews have hints of these darker fruits, but this was date-infused ecstasy. This was my take on it then. When this barrel-aged release came out, I sent out a request to reserve it as soon as I could. And...I waited.

The sun is out now, but I broke out this hearty winter brew on a recent snow day. It was a perfect way to wait for the oncoming storm.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This black brew had a little coffee-colored reverse head. I smelled the savory dates. I also got smells of  caramel, vanilla, and wood from the bourbon barrel.

Taste: I really tasted the barrel. It was a little dry with strong bourbon flavors up front. It had a bite to it. It doesn't hide the booze. I was warm off of one sip of this brew. That wasn't the only quality that made this a sipping brew. It was hearty and savory. It had a little spice and brown sugar sweetness. It was a perfect winter warmer. I'm happy to have had the chance to try this brew.

Comments

Popular Posts